Monday, June 11, 2007

Happy Birth-day JT!!


Sparkling green eyes peer up at me through whisps of wind blown blond hair. "Tell me again what we're gonna' do for my birth-day, mom". Gee so many choices, there are fireworks tonight at the golf course so that's a given, and he said he wanted to go out for dinner. "Do you still want to eat out tonight" I ask. "Oh yea, steak remember". He is only turning 6... but he knows I love baked potato.

I say only turning 6 but in so many countries he would be one of only a few that live past the age of 5. He is a charmer, smart and always ready with snappy come-back. Being five years younger than his sister JT was essentially an only child. He spent his first three years rarely seeing anthing lower than my hip... or his dad's arms. Then one day everything changed! A two month old baby came into his world. Followed shortly after by an 18 month old baby... For the first time JT had to share his toys, his sippy cups and OH MAN, his mommy. A year later an older brother and sister were added to the mix. Another year and he got yet another older sister. He took each is stride and now just assumes that all families are like his, The Tribe.

Last summer a few of his siblings were at a visit to Grandma's house. "It's too quiet here" he said. "I would hate to not have lots of brothers and sisters. It makes me sad". He has few memories of life as the youngest of two children. His world has changed and he's willingly adapted. He has learned to share, think of others first and he is aware, at a very tender age, of the ugliness in the world. He knows that there are children who are sad, alone, hungry and sick. He also believes that Jesus is a super hero who helps sad kids. (Go J!)

So, here's to you JT! My little sunshine, full of kindness for all living things, a bubbeling cup joy and wonder. You make the world a better place for just being in it. I hope you have the happiest birth-day ever!


No comments: