Saturday, June 30, 2007

Down by the River Side


The Tribe played, baked, or otherwise kept themselves busy. Layla was plopped in the way only a teenager can, in front of the tv. Her eyes were blank and it was obvious that she was seeing nothing on the screen in front of her. I tried to sit on the front stoop and read but, my mind refused to focus on the words in front of me. I wandered back in and whispered to Layla, "go get in granma's truck". She looked at me as if she couldn't quite grasp what I was telling her. Then, she nodded, slipped on her tennis shoes and ambeled out the door in her slow, I am a totally bored teenager, way. I told granma that I wanted to visit the river with Layla. "Will you watch the rest of the Tribe?" She smiled and nodded. It amazes me the way close families can communicate with few words.

"Where we goin'?" Laya asked as the old truck rattled to life. "I thought the river might be pretty just now and I'm bored" I told her. "Cool, me too".

As we turned off the main road an onto the path to the water Layla spotted bunnies. I grabbed for my camara and told her to take the wheel. We moved forward slowly with me hanging out the window and trying to find the bunnies throught the view finder, Layla trying to keep us from driving into a ditch.

Once at the waters edge she looked for pretty stones and I tried to find cool things to take pictures of. We were together but focused on different things. It allowed for comfortable conversation without strain or pressure. We watched fish jump, dragonflies race and threw stones. We chatted and were just together.

We were both quiet on the walk back to the truck. The ground was rocky and barren but as we rounded a corner I saw a tiny mustard plant that had not only pushed it's way up throught the rocks but had bloomed. A tiny plant with a tenatious hold on life not only surved but prospered. It reminded me of my Layla.

We drove home chattering and in good spirits. It was a short but refreshing visit. We were almost to the main road and Layla pointed out the window, "look, deer". There at the edge of the clearing was a doe and fawn. Both stoped and watched us with liquid brown eyes. Their ears and tails flicked but they stood frozen watching us watch them. I tried for a picture but it blured as they moved into the cover of the forest. Another great symbol, I don't question it's source. A mother and child finding strength and facing the fear of the unknown together. No need to panic or run away, just head for the shelter where weary find peace.

3 comments:

the laughing gypsy said...

tears...

Tink said...

she is trying to call me mom.... the storm is clearing.

the laughing gypsy said...

:-)