Monday, June 18, 2007

Board Breaking


At my very first Karate shiai (test) I stood in front of the testing panel and announced, "Sensei, I will attempt to... !" Sensei Peeler, the head of our style who had flown in Detroit just for this test stopped me. "You will what" he asked? I realized my mistake as it came from my mouth and now, in front of a very large group of very high ranking Karate masters I knew that everyone had heard it.

Shaking in my gee I announced again, "Sensei, I will break one board with otoshi tettsui (downward hammer fist)".

My first thought was to throw up but that would show a lack of respect in the dojo. As I move towards the board and the cinder blocks holding it up my knees began to shake. Sensei was in front of me guiding my stance and wind-up. The Tribe was behind me cheering me on. I cleared my mind and moved into my stance. Breath, wind up, breath, punch, kiai (yell), BANG! The board was not in two pieces at my feet.

I quickly forgot the tingling in my hand and soaked up the screams and cheers from The Tribe and the rest of the class behind me. This was just the first of many firsts in my journey through the world of martial arts (just wait 'till I tell you about my chi). But, it was a break through (no pun intended) for my mind. I was able to use my mind and body as a tool to do some serious damage to a 1 inch thick board. I was strong and powerful, I am strong and powerful, 1 inch thick boards everywhere fear me.

Saturday my mind and body will again be tested. This time I decided to play Bruce Lee and break with an open knife hand. I poke at the soft flesh on the lower part of my hand that runs upwards towards my pinkie finger. Not very dangerous looking. I wonder, did I take on too much... can I really do this and not do serious damage to my hand? I can do this, I will do this and Saturday evening I will tie my yellow belt around my shattered board and my blue belt around my waist! I am strong, I am powerful!

1 comment:

Qaro said...

I love this: "1 inch thick boards everywhere fear me"