Friday, February 8, 2008

Only A Foster Parent

I was talking to my little sister who is currently being confronted with one of the many difficult and painful parts of being a foster parent. She was in a very low mood and as she shared her story my heart broke for her. As she got the conclusion she made the statement that was like a blow to the head. "What else can I do, I'm only a foster parent? I can't even fight for him".

This is a woman that has dedicated her life to caring for broken innocent little ones that desperately need unconditional love. She gives every part of herself to her children, those she birthed and those that were handed to her by a social worker. She goes to court, meetings and works out visits. She goes to doctors appointments, kisses hurts and loves away tears. She is the a living representation of unconditional love but she is "only a foster parent". She has no rights, no say, no voice.

I am angry, I feel her pain and the pain of my other dearest friends that live this day after day. So many that work so hard to do what is right knowing the pain and frustration that are part of it.

The seeds of unconditional love that have been planted in these children are the fruits of the labor. We may not see them grow to be adults, we many not have any say in how they are raised or the choices they make. All we can do is pray that they will remember they are special and that there are people out there that love them and gave all they had, even if it was only for a little while. Then, maybe being "only a foster parent" will mean something.

No comments: